Saturday, April 2, 2011

Gardens and Pixel

Jonathan thinks we are really far behind on getting our garden going. I keep trying to tell him that the planting chart says we're fine. I don't think he believes me. He's got the soil test kit out this morning so we can start some of the outdoor plants today.

Last weekend we planted our tomatoes, peppers, and snap peas inside - it's always a bit nerve-wracking for me to start things from seed, until they finally sprout and then I am super excited! We should start seeing something within the next week... I hope! I suppose we do have some planting we can do today - actually we can probably do a lot: fava beans, garlic, kale, broccoli, brussles sprouts, onions, potatoes. First we need to mark out where everything will go though.
I'd also like to put together a drip irrigation system this year, but for some reason that seems really overwhelming to me!

I was looking through some photos of our garden from last year for inspiration and though I'd share a few. For having a pretty cold start to the summer and a short growing season I think we were pretty successful!





But now on to more important matters - yesterday was the 5th birthday of the love of my life. And I forgot it! I think I owe him some new toy mice now. Oh - was that confusing? Yes, he is a cat. Here he is when I first got him:
 He was a gangly awkward looking thing when I first got him. In fact, my friend and I weren't even really interested in him and his sister but the lady who worked at the rescue center insisted that we at least take a look at them. These cats won us over in an instant - they purred and snuggled and let us hold them for at least 20 minutes. Now the only time Pixel lets me hold him is when I've been gone for a long time and he's excited to have me home, and even then he only cooperates for about 2 minutes!

Here he is now - five years old and more handsome than ever (well I think so at least)!

No comments:

Post a Comment