Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Dinner: Ale Suateed Vegan Steak with Aji Avocado Sauce

I tend to make my more impressive meals on the weekend for the obvious reason - I have more time. Since I'm kind of into this Veganize This! cookbook right now which consists of overly complicated recipes requiring multiple days, that usually leaves Sunday night for the big meal. I've decided to continue with a theme - Sunday Dinners - and share with you what I create each week to kick off yet another work week.



Remember the Sea Scallops recipe and the long winded title? Well I tried to pare down the actual recipe title for the post, but what it really was is: Colombian Ale-Sauteed Vegan Steak with Sweet Onions and Garlic-Ginger Aji Avocado Sauce. *deep breath* I will tell you this - I don't really remember what steak tasted like, but I know this was not the texture. Not that I didn't enjoy it though - the flavor was quite good. Jonathan even said a few of them looked like real pieces of meat! I wonder if I might someday learn to fool someone... probably not since apparently we can only ever get texture or flavor correct but not both.



I didn't know what an Aji Sauce was until just now - to me it seemed just like a more complicated guacamole - but apparently it is a spicy South American sauce (Stephanie - are you eating this in Chile!?). Jonathan was eating it by the spoonful, so I think that means it was good. I made some oven roasted potatoes to go along with it because Steak and Potatoes - that's what people eat, right!? Anyway - I wasn't sure what other side dish went with "steak" and this seemed to work.

You know - I think this may be one of the few food photos I have taken that I actually enjoyed without any amount of photoshopping at all. Maybe I am getting better? Nah - just lucky I think. Perhaps that's the next class I should sign up for - photography! I wonder if anyone teaches a food photography class around here, that would be amazing!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment