Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Dinner: Pineapple Five-Spice Bun with Orange-Sherry Glazed Tofu

For this week's version of Sunday Dinner I had to veer away from the typical Sunday dinner type fare. There's only so much "American" type vegetarian food one can make, you know? Especially when it's not quite grilling season yet and I can't pretend to make burgers by grilling mushrooms.

Can you guess by the name that this was another recipe from that same book? This is actually one of the simpler recipes - I think it only took me about an hour and a half to make and I didn't really need to do any advanced preparation. I wasn't very happy with it when I first put it all together. I'm not sure why. I think I was annoyed by the tofu sticking to the pan, or maybe that I had more tofu than I had pan space. Either way, I wasn't thrilled. But now thinking back on it, the meal was actually pretty good. I love the combination of basil, mint, and cilantro. The tofu that did manage to come out of the pan had a nice texture and flavor. The only thing that actually went wrong was the rice noodles probably needed another 30 second of cooking. I found a few clumps of hard noodles still stuck together. Oops!

The best part about it though is that I have leftover pineapple, plus a can of coconut milk from making coconut rice earlier this week - perfect for making coconut sticky rice with grilled pineapple! And so that's it for today - I'm off to finish dessert and curl up on the couch with a warm bowl of rice.

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment