Sunday, April 10, 2011

Raw Food: Cold but Still Delicious

So registering at the local community college has been a fantastic idea. Dance class is super fun, the Chef for the Chocolate's class ended up letting me register even though the class is full, and yesterday I took a raw foods class!

In case you hadn't noticed based on my previous posts, I've been vegetarian for quite a long time. I've read about raw food, and I've occasionally eaten it at various restaurants. I've never really pursued the raw food diet though because honestly my reasons for being vegetarian have nothing to do with health (not that I don't think it isn't an added bonus!). I thought it would be fun  to learn a bit more about raw foods though and maybe try to incorporate more of them into my culinary adventures so I signed up for this weekend class.


I think a lot of people hear "raw food" and assume that all you can eat is salads and fruits, but I really think it is so much more than that. My favorite thing we made in this class was a stir "fry" with Almond Thai Sauce - insane amounts of flavor! I definitely can see myself making this recipe again and I really can't imagine that anyone wouldn't love it.

We also made a Tropical Salad (ok yes - a salad, but not a boring one!) and a Mango Cobbler and tried a Green Smoothie. My inner picky child was a little wary of the green smoothie, but you seriously couldn't taste the greens at all. I think I might need to invest in a blender that doesn't leak everywhere and actually blends more than just the bottom inch of ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment