Friday, May 20, 2011

Garden Progress

For some of you it might already feel like summer, but here in Oregon we're still on the weather roller coaster. Some days are beautiful, sunny, and 70 degrees, and then other mornings we still have frost on the ground (I'm hoping we've moved past that now though).

Last year when we moved into this house we built two 4x8 raised beds. Since we moved right about this time of year we got a bit of a late start on the garden - I don't think we had finished the raised beds until the first week of June. It ended up working out ok because we had a terrible spring and probably couldn't have planted much before then anyway.

This year Jonathan decided to build a hoop house over one of the raised beds to help us get started a little earlier on the garden (plus if we end up with more terrible weather we might actually still manage to get some tomatoes!). I'm really excited about this hoop house because we already have tomatoes, peppers, and corn planted!

We also have kale, potatoes, brussels sprouts, and something that looks like a mini tomatillo plant that is apparently called a ground cherry (or so Jonathan tells me) planted in the covered bed. The last few days it has been much warmer out so we've been opening up the hoop house during the day. I'm not sure if you can read the temperature on this photo, but it says it was 95 degrees in there even with it open! I'm not sure I quite believe that, but it definitely keeps it nice and warm.

Our other raised bed is not looking quite as exciting yet, but we do have peas, swiss chard, and a delicata squash planted, as well as the seeds in for fava beans, onions, and carrots. In my planter box that I usually use for herbs I have radishes and spinach planted - no photos of that since you can hardly see the radishes starting to come up and it mostly just looks like a box of dirt still!



This whole gardening thing is still quite new to me so I'm hoping some of it works out! It's fun to learn about but since it's a whole year before you get to try it again it kind be a little overwhelming! I suppose if nothing actually grows the way it is supposed to at least we will have our CSA Harvest Box to feed us!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment