Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday Dinner: Spicy Italian Sausage Soup and Apple Pie

I missed writing about Sunday dinner last week - I was actually in San Diego (or really San Marcos) visiting a friend but we did make a nice dinner! She'd never had a delicata squash before so we made the stuffed squash I've posted on the blog before (veggie sausage, onions, mushrooms, apple, hazelnuts, etc) and it was a hit! I love making things that people have never tried and having them love it!

This weekend I knew I wanted to make soup since we had celery from the harvest box, still about a million carrots, and onions. Jonathan asked for sausage soup, which I had never actually considered as a soup ingredient. We did some searching and settled on a recipe for a spicy Italian sausage soup (I used the Field Roast version of Italian sausage of course). It turned out really good - I eliminated about half of the liquid from the original recipe to make it a bit more stew like and I think that was a good call, there would have been far too much broth otherwise. You can find the recipe as I used it below, or click the link to get the original recipe!

Spicy Sausage Soup (adapted from here)
1 package Field Roast Italian Sausage (4 links, ~3/4lbs)
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2-3 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
32 ounces vegetable stock (I actually used a vegan chicken flavored Better Than Bouillon)
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4 medium potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste

*Dice up the sausage and cook with a bit of olive oil until lightly browned - set aside.
*Saute the onion, carrots, and celery in olive oil for about 5 minutes - add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for another few minutes.
*Add the stock, seasoning, and potatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
*Add the diced sausage and test for seasoning - enjoy!

 I also finally got around to making that apple pie that I have been meaning to for quite some time. We have almost as many apples as we have carrots to use up (18 lbs from the Harvest Box alone - plus the apples we got at the Portland Cider Festival!). Luckily Jonathan doesn't mind peeling and chopping apples - that's my least favorite part - so he did that while I made the crust. You can find the crust recipe in my post about blackberry pie - it didn't turn out quite as good as that one, but it was ok. Pie crust takes lots of practice I suppose! I think mainly I just needed to roll it thinner - there's always more apples I suppose!

-C

1 comment:

  1. You are brave to try pie crusts! I really should give it a try!
    The soup recipe sounds similar to one I make that is called Pizza Soup. Ask Jonathan if he remembers it. Now it's made with SmartSausage instead of meat sausage and we really can't tell the difference...so much less fat and the seasoning is perfect.
    I was excited to find the no chicken Better Than Bouillon at the food coop today!
    I so look forward to your posts, Courtney! You inspire me to think more about what I prepare and eat, so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete