Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

I'm not sure how this long weekend flew by so fast! I'm definitely not ready to go back to work tomorrow, but I guess there are only a few more weeks until we're off for Christmas!

We made a quick trip up to Washington to visit my family for Thanksgiving. This was the first year we didn't have it at my grandma's, which I thought might be a little strange, but having it at my cousin's house actually turned out very nice. I guess lied when I said I was for sure going to make something with squash to bring, I ended up bringing a pear and goat cheese salad that my friend Sara gave me the recipe for - very delicious and nice to have something green at Thanksgiving! I also brought some Field Roast for me and my sister and it was really nice to have a savory protein along with all of the creaminess of the potatoes and mac & cheese.

On our way out of town Friday we stopped for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in town - Hillside Quickie. I hate that I can't eat here all the time - it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. I know a "tofu sandwich" might not sound like the most appealing thing ever, but they have the world's most amazing tofu. It's not at all squishy or bland - it's dense and meaty and smokey. And the best part? I found out that they SELL it there by the pound!! I now have my very own pound of smoked tofu in the fridge. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about this.

Yesterday we headed out with some of our friends to get our Christmas tree. It was an absolutely perfect day for it - no rain, fairly warm, and even a little bit of sun! We tried a new location this year - Donovan's Place in west Corvallis. I would recommend this place because: 1) They had a tree shaker, far less bugs came into the house this year, and 2) Free hot cocoa! The people working there were also very nice and took photos for us and tied the trees to our cars.

Jonathan cut the tree - I just took photos.
 This tree was a little bit bigger than I had anticipated. In fact, I think it may be the biggest Christmas tree I have ever had.


 Here it is in it's various states - where we found it, inside and hopefully relatively straight, and with the lights added. That's where I had to stop last night because we were headed over to dinner at our friends house and by the time we got back home I was too tired to finish it.
We finished the rest of the decorating this morning - can't get the star to stay on straight. Oh well. Pixel seems to approve.

 

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and is getting into the holiday spirit! I know Pixel sure is - it means tons of extra "toys" (aka ornaments) are within a paws reach.

-C

1 comment:

  1. You write the most adorable posts, Courtney! I'm glad you had a good time in Seattle. That tofu definitely sounds interesting....love the idea of a smoky flavor in it. You got a great tree! Luv the pic of Jonathan cutting it down....it reminds me of all the photos we have of John doing the same thing. Isn't it amazing how many more lights a slightly taller tree takes each year? I'm definitely in the holiday spirit....the house is all decorated inside and the tree is up awaiting ornaments to be put on at Juliette's arrival on the 19th....she wants that job:) We're SO looking forward to spending Xmas week with you!

    ReplyDelete