Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Dinner: Comfort Food

It's been quite a long time since my last Sunday Dinner post. Perhaps it's more of an Autumn/Winter sort of thing for me.

Yesterday, in an effort to make sure we continue to use up all of the produce from our Harvest Box, Jonathan and I went through the fridge and made a list of everything we had. It was a lot. It looked something like this:

Carrots (about a thousand)
Spinach
Beets (gross - I don't know what I will do with these)
Swiss chard
Kale (x2)
Beet greens
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Radicchio
Sweet Peppers (x6)
Eggplant
Potatoes (x3 bags)
Delicata Squash (x3)
Sunshine Squash

So I set out on a mission to try to use up some of this produce before the weekend was over otherwise there won't be any room for our new produce on Tuesday! My list now looks like this:

Carrots (still about a thousand)
Spinach
Beets (still gross, but I think I found a way to use them in a chocolate cake)
Swiss chard
Kale (x2)
Beet greens
Broccoli
Cauliflower (only partially crossed since I only used half of it)
Radicchio
Sweet Peppers (x6 x3)
Eggplant
Potatoes (x3 bags x2 bags)
Delicata Squash (x3 x2)
Sunshine Squash
Not quite the progress I had hoped, but it's a start. I also have plans to finish the kale, chard, and beet greens tomorrow so that will be helpful.

On to comfort food though - I definitely have seasonal cravings. I've been eyeing those delicata squash for awhile, I think they are best served simple - sliced, tossed in some olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted until tender. I've also been really wanting one of Field Roast's Celebration Roasts, but turns out I can't find it anywhere in Corvallis anymore! This makes me very sad.

The co-op did have their version of meatloaf though, which Jonathan convinced me to try even though "meatloaf" is kind of freaky. I don't typically attempt to recreate vegetarian versions of items I wouldn't have eaten in their regular animal product form, but since I was severely lacking in the other Field Roast departments I thought I might as well give it a shot. Turns out it's pretty delicious! I should have known - those people at Field Roast never let me down.

We ended up having "meatloaf", roasted delicata squash, rosemary roasted potatoes, and kale salad with cranberries and pepitas. I was pretty happy with all of the end results - I seriously love this season, hope you're enjoying it too!

-C


2 comments:

  1. I just made a roasted delicata squash and beet dish with caramelized onion, ginger & goat cheese - it was delicious and a great way to use beets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. perhaps if I combined them with my love for delicata squash they would be better! Was it a recipe you found or something you just made up? If you have the recipe maybe you can send it to me!

    ReplyDelete