Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lingering Harvest Box

I haven't been cooking very much lately. I mean, I have been baking and making candies, but I haven't been doing as much cooking cooking. I think partially because we don't have a new box full of produce each week to use up now, and partially because the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is just so chaotic.

We do still have some Harvest Box items hanging around... mostly squash though which should keep for some time so I haven't been rushing to use it. I had been eyeing this recipe in Vegetarian Times for a stew served in an Acorn squash for awhile, but earlier this week I stumbled on a recipe for a sausage and apple stuff squash. Tonight I decided to take that idea and run with it - I combined crimini mushrooms, apple-sage field roast, onions, apples, and hazelnuts with some bread crumbs and filled each half of an acorn squash that had been roasted with a garlic sage butter with the mixture. So, so good.

I also made some caramel last night - I'm really into the candy making right now. I had also never made caramel before, really my experience in candy making prior to this has been making english toffee. I didn't have enough corn syrup for the recipe I was following, but I decided to give it a try anyway (I reeeaally like caramel).

Boiling delicousness
 The caramel making was easier than the fudge making from the other day, but it still took quite a bit of time. I also had to switch pots once it started boiling because it nearly boiled over...  oops!

Caramel!
It turned out pretty good - or at least my coworkers didn't mind eating it all. It's a good thing stuff like this disappears at work so I don't have to keep it at home (otherwise I would definitely eat it all).

One last thing worth mentioning - Pixel's bow tie arrived today. Most.Adorable.Thing.Ever. He will be by far the fanciest dressed at the party this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment