Saturday, October 29, 2011

Apple Cider Doughnuts

I'd been dying to make apple cider doughnuts for at least the past month. I'd seen dozens of different recipes fly by on foodgawker and last weekend I finally felt like I had the time to try it out. As you can imagine, I was pretty excited to eat some delicious, fresh, apple cider doughnuts.

Let me tell you - I think I am giving up on my frying attempts. For starters, I hate frying things because pouring an entire bottle of vegetable oil into a pan makes me feel kind of gross and also sad, and secondly hot oil scares me. A lot. But the real reason I think I am giving up on frying things is I just don't think the results are worth the effort (and calories).

Now I'm not faulting the recipe I used - I think my biggest problem is I don't have a great thermometer and the oil may not have been quite hot enough. I also read that most doughnut shops fry in hydrogenated oil (not that I really want to do that either though) - but supposedly it actually keeps less of the oil from seeping into your food. I wonder what using coconut oil would be like - I did a little bit of reading and it sounds like you can use it for frying, but I suppose that would also be expensive!

Anyway, I think I am going to buy myself a doughnut pan so that next time I feel like trying to make doughnuts I can just make the baked kind! The good news was, the dough by itself was pretty delicious! If you're interested here is the recipe I used: Apple Cider Doughnuts.

The only changes I made were to use 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour instead of the graham flour and I used flax seed eggs instead of the real eggs (1 Tbs. ground flax seeds mixed with 3 Tbs. warm water = 1 egg). Perhaps you will have better luck than I did!  (Side note: I think if I had made only doughnut holes they might have turned out ok, the grease seemed to seep into those less).

-C

2 comments:

  1. These look great, and I'm glad they tasted good. I think you're right about the thermometer....it seems to be critical for keeping the dough from absorbing the oil. They're pricey but last a long time, so put it on your Xmas list:) And what IS it about pouring so much oil in a pan that freaks me out, too! Chuckled when I read that part because I have the same reaction!!
    I too have wanted to try some doughnuts and prefer the yeasted ones, but baked ones look good too. I'll let you know if I do.
    Thx for turning me on to foodgawker where I am spending WAY too much time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely let me know if you find a good doughnut recipe - I do enjoy them, but after my now second failed attempt I'm kind of wanting to give up on them! Jonathan and I did have a really good doughnut from the farm where we went to pick pumpkins though, so at least I've had one good one this year!

    I'm glad you like foodgawker too! I'm almost embarrassed about how much time I spend on there - every time Jonathan asks what I am doing on the computer I have to admit that I am busy gawking at recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete