Saturday, June 4, 2011

Garden Progress and The Best Potato Salad Ever

It's been two weeks since I last took some photos of our garden progress and now that we finally have some nice weather again I thought I'd share a few more! Things are progressing pretty well except that we seem to have a problem with slugs this year. It's mostly affecting the plants in the covered bed so maybe they like that it's warmer at night. I was reading that they don't like to cross sharp or gritty things, so I'm thinking of lining the edges of the bed with some gravel and egg shells and see how that goes.




The uncovered bed isn't doing quite as well - I'm not sure if it's too cold or if the starts just didn't transplant very well. The peas are having a tough time, but I'm still hoping they'll rebound. Same with the delicata squash plant - and I reeeaaallly hope that one bounces back because I love delicata squash! The fava beans and the carrots and onions are starting to sprout though, so that's exciting!


I need to think of a few more things to plant in the little space that we have left - any suggestions? I also need to start my herb garden but the planter I used last year is currently in use for the radishes and spinach - I think a trip to Bi-Mart is in store for tomorrow.








But now on to the good stuff - potato salad. I've always thought mayonnaise was gross and when I stopped eating eggs it wasn't even an option, so I've never actually had a typical potato salad. Then one time while browsing through Parent's magazine in a doctor's office waiting room I came across a recipe for a different kind of potato salad - one with a vinaigrette dressing and corn and red onions, all things I love.

I think my search to find this recipe on the Parent's magazine website is what lead to the internet assuming that I have children (Have you tried searching for information on yourself? It can be quite entertaining.) Anyway - I finally did find the recipe and after making a few modifications for personal taste ended up with what I think is the best potato salad ever.

Red Potato and Corn Salad
1 lb red potatoes
3 ears of corn
1/2 red onion
1/3 c. olive oil
3 Tbs cider vinegar
1/2 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
2 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
salt & pepper

1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, drain and set aside to cool.
2. Boil the ears of corn for about 5 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water. Cut the corn off of the cob with a serrated knife into a large bowl.
3. Dice the red onion and add it to the corn.
4. Cut the cooled potatoes into bite size chunks and add it to the corn and onions.
5. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, and herbs - add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss together with your hands - I think this is the most effective way since the potatoes are a little bit delicate.

This salad works with all kinds of potatoes, but red potatoes are classic. I think my favorite are the purple viking potatoes but I can only find those at the farmers market (and hopefully in my garden shortly)!




1 comment:

  1. My mom used to make a similar mayo-free potato salad, but I love your addition of corn!
    Good luck with the slug remedy....at least you have access to egg shells:)
    How about sticking in a variety of herbs in between plants?

    ReplyDelete