Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Farmer's Market Dinner

Apparently Summer isn't the time that I'm best at keeping up with the whole blogging thing! We've been busy these past few weeks enjoying the end of summer, and to be honest I'm definitely ready for autumn to be here! I'm not much of a hot weather fan, and even though it was a relatively cool summer for us I still don't enjoy the 80+ degree days (and certainly not that one that nearly reached 100!).

This past weekend we headed up to Portland for a Harvest Dinner at the Montavilla Farmer's Market which supported Everybody Eats, a program that helps bring high quality, locally grown food to families who might not otherwise have access to it.

Our first stop of the trip was at a food cart that I fell in love with a few years ago and haven't had a chance to get back to since - Homegrown Smoker BBQ is an all vegan BBQ and southern comfort food food cart and it is delicious! I'd like to have taken photos of it, but for many reasons that was difficult to do. Let me just tell you that whoever thought of putting mac and cheese, bbq soy curls, baked beans, grilled peppers and onions all in a burrito had a pretty good idea!


After lunch we headed over to the Saturday farmer's market held on the PSU campus. It's one of my favorite markets - it's absolutely huge and there is so much to see and taste! It was pretty crowded around there though with the college students moving into the dorms plus it started to rain a bit so we didn't stay long (but long enough to buy some delicious peaches!). We filled up the afternoon looking at a few bike shops (details on what that's all about another time perhaps) and going to the Humane Society to look at all the animals! The Portland Humane Society is huge, but to be honest I like the one here in Corvallis better - I feel like you get to be a lot more personal with the animals here.


Ok - now about this dinner. It was wonderful! There was a vegan option as well as a meat option which was great for the two of us, the wine was supplied by a company that imports from small-scale sustainable farms in Italy and was delicious, and we even had nice company to chat with. I won't go into too much detail about all of the food, but I will share some of the photos with you of the different courses. Hope you enjoy them!


-C




No comments:

Post a Comment