Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Eating Local

I haven't talked as much about the Harvest Box here as I thought I would. The summer has kind of gotten away from me and I haven't been cooking quite as elaborately as last summer. It may have something to do with now having evening meetings almost every day of the week (whatever happened to the work day ending anyway?).

Tonight it was just me for dinner, but today was also the day we receive this week's box of veggies and I felt maybe at least a little inspired. As I ate my dinner of pesto pasta with oven roasted tomatoes - basil and garlic from our CSA, sungold tomatoes from our garden, and hazelnuts from the farmer's market - I felt lucky and excited to have so much of this food available right in my own backyard. I don't think it will ever be a perfect commitment to eating entirely locally - I love things like coffee and avocados too much - but I think it's great that I can get a lot of my food from right here, either in my own backyard or from the farm over the hill.

I have some photos of our own garden that I want to share, but I actually have another meeting to run to - it never ends!

More to come.

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment